This movie at seems to be your
typical ghost movie. There is a creepy, old house that the protagonist goes to
where he spends the night. The protagonist sees the ghost or sees the actions
of the ghost and there is something terrible that happens because of the ghost.
This terrible action requires the protagonist to find out why the ghost is
haunting the house and to fix it. The protagonist in “The Woman in Black” is
named Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe) and at the beginning of the movie, you
find out that his wife died giving birth to their son, Joseph. Arthur is a
solicitor, or lawyer, and he must visit a remote village where they try to shun
him out of town. However, Arthur is threatened that this would be his last job
if he did not do well so he is forced to see the job all the way through.
Arthur gets to the village and finds that the people do not want him there. He
still has to do the job so he ends up going to the house which is across the
marshlands. There is only one path and there is a tide that allows people to
cross only certain times during the day. Once there, he experiences many
different paranormal activities including seeing a woman dressed in black.
Throughout the rest of the movie, viewers are glued to their seats if they are
not jumping out of their skins.
Plot – 7
The movie had an increasingly
interesting plot. However, the plot makes sense and therefore becomes
predictable once enough information is disclosed to the audience. Normally,
that would have gotten the rating lower than a 7 but the ending had a twist
that threw everyone in the audience for a loop, although, I will not give it
away here.
Visuals – 9
Every single visual in this movie
was very well thought out. From what I saw, there is nothing in the movie that
stands out or does not belong within the time period and despite the gloominess
and darkness of the lighting, it is easy to see everything within the movie.
Sound – 10
The sound in this movie was
absolutely phenomenal. This does not have a soundtrack and will not win any
awards for best music, but the way the movie was made the sound fit absolutely
perfectly. When the sound needed to be loud, it was loud. When the sound needed
to be quiet, it was quiet. When there needed to be silence, there was silence.
There were no unnecessary sounds and the times when there was an absence of
sound were perfect.
Actors – 9
For everyone who has seen Harry
Potter, they will know that Daniel Radcliffe is the actor that played Harry
Potter for all seven Harry Potter movies. When I first saw Daniel Radcliffe on
screen, my original thought was, “Harry, where is your scar?” After that
initial question, I was no longer thinking of Harry Potter but of Arthur Kipps.
The rest of the actors did a very good job as well, though being less
well-known and being supporting actors makes them less noticeable than Daniel
Radcliffe.
Overall – 8
Overall, this movie was very good.
I enjoyed the plot and the spookiness of the movie did get to me at times so
all the people that worked on this movie have done a really good job. The sound
quality and placement was perfect and the visuals are great as well. I have
thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it is one that I would like to own as soon as
I can. I also hope to read the book so that I can compare the movie to the book
but for right now, the movie is all I have to go off of. I recommend people to
see this movie at least once, especially if they enjoy scary movies.
No comments:
Post a Comment